What Interviewers Want to Know

What do interviewers really want in job candidates? The answer may be different for every hiring manager. But first-time job hunters may be surprised by how simple their wish lists are. We asked hiring managers from a variety of industries to share what they look for in candidates. Work experience is usually the first item

Continue Reading

Headhunting for the Retail Industy

With any industry but especially in retail appointing the right people for board-level executives and mid/senior level management can impact hugely on your company business, so many more companies are choosing to use professional head hunting companies, such as ourselves, to hunt down the most talented candidates in this field.

Continue Reading

Make Employers Come to You

Utilizing job listings, networking with people in your industry (and in other industries), and applying to companies you want to work at–these are all great ways to go after a job. But how can you make employers and recruiters come after you? We asked Career Rocketeer’s Chris Perry, a career-search and personal-branding expert, for five

Continue Reading

How to Gain Control Of Your Job Search

Only 25% of all positions are found through published and defined markets, such as employment ads, placement agencies and recruiting firms. Unfortunately, job seekers favor these markets even though they face less competition for the remaining 75% of jobs found through networking and direct unsolicited contact with employers.

Continue Reading

Starting salary

“Can you give us some idea of your salary expectation?” is the question that strikes fear into the heart of every interviewee. Just how do you answer? Pitch it too high and you look unrealistic and overly confident, pitch it too low and you undervalue both yourself and your ability to do the job.  

Continue Reading

Seeking advice

If you had a machine in your living room that was capable of printing £50,000 or £1000,000 a year in used notes, you’d take pretty good care of it, wouldn’t you? If it needed repairing, you’d take it to a qualified, professional repairer. If you thought it could print even more money, you’d seek the

Continue Reading

Covering letters

The basics When it comes to writing a covering letter, you can probably learn more from the personal columns than you can from the jobs pages. Get it wrong and at best you’ll condemn yourself to a miserable, unfulfilling 40-year relationship; at worst you’ll end up, alone and unwanted, on the job scrap heap.

Continue Reading

A new you

Are you stuck in a job that really doesn’t suit you? Do you long to reinvent yourself professionally? A career overhaul can seem a daunting step but, with careful planning, you can achieve those unfulfilled ambitions

Continue Reading

Fighting for equal pay

Men and women now have equal rights in the workplace. But some, says Emma John, are still more equal than others An overwhelming 93% of employers are confident they offer women fair, unbiased pay systems, according to a new survey. Yet the poll, by the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC), is only one of a number

Continue Reading